Possibly the oldest available photo and story of The Noyes Home taken just after it was built and published in the the 1895 Edition of the Medical Herald and written by Dr. Daniel Morton of St. Joseph, Mo.  It was known then as The Home for The Little Wanderers.

THE HOME FOR LITTLE WANDERERS.

BY DANIEL MORTON. M.

Photo and Story of The Noyes Home For Children from 1895 known then as The Home for The Little Wanderers.  The Home for Little Wanderers of St. Joseph. M0,, is an orphans’ home conducted under the management of “The Ladies’ Union Benevolent Association.” an organization composed of Protestant ladies. Twenty—one years ago this association was organized In a quiet unostentatious ‘way. It had no funds, it had no house in which to put the unfortunate whom it proposed to shelter. but it was composed of a band of earnest women who were willing to work. By solicitation or money, by giving entertainments, and by various other means a little money was gathered. a frame house rented, and the work begun. From that time to this the association has steadily done a charitable work that has commanded the respect and support or the city of St. Joseph, and no charity has ever commanded the entire confidence of the public more than this. For many years the support was entirely by public donation. The association could count on nothing ahead, but each month found it with sufficient funds to liquidate all expenses. and not a dollar of indebtedness has ever been incurred. The citizen finally bought property and gave it to the association, and here for many years its work was done until the size of the building became inadequate for the number of applicants for aid. During all these years a merchant of St. Joseph had quietly watched the progress of the association and had been a constant contributor to its support. He had long desired to round an orphans’ home, and had been on the lookout for some organization that had demonstrated by actual work its ability to properly manage such an institution Becoming satisfied that The Ladies’ Union Benevolent Association was the organization he was searching for, he determined to place his contemplated institution under its management.

One day. therefore, Mr. C. W. Noyes called at the home of Mrs. John A. Dolman, the president of the association. explained to her his proposition and asked her it the association would undertake the work. Before this not an intimation had been given that such a thing was intended, and the suddenness of such good fortune completely overcame Mrs. Dolman, who could not believe that she had properly understood Mr. Noyes’ proposition, and she therefore sent for him again and had him repeat the offer. Not till then could she realize that it was all true. When it is understood what Mr. Noyes proposed to do, her incredulity will be readily understood. His proposition was to buy a tract of land near the city,  to erect upon it a building at a cost of $25.000, to furnish It, and to bear the expense at its maintenance until such time as it could be properly endowed by himself. Every condition Photo and Story of The Noyes Home For Children from 1895 known then as The Home for The Little Wanderers.  of this proposition has been literally fulfilled, and today “The Home for Little Wanderers” stands a monument to his kindliness of heart for helpless children. The building is of pressed brick, three stories, steam-heated, modern in every respect, and has a capacity of one hundred inmates. The engraving accompanying this article glves a good idea of its appearance. The grounds consist or eight and one-half acres. The endowment consists of real ‘estate in the business center or the city valued at 880.000. From the income of this endowment the Home is supported. The president of the Ladies’ Union Benevolent Association is Mrs. John A. Dolman. The president of the Ladies’ Union Benevo-

lent Association is Mrs. John A. Dolman. The trustees or The Home for Little Wanderers are M. S. Norman. John D. Richardson and M. A. Reed.

The officers of The Home for title Wanderers are: Mrs. Anna Curtis. Matron; Dr. Daniel Morton. Attending Physician; Dr. M. F. Weyman. Ocullst and Aurist. In another article will be given an account of The Memorial Home for Aged People, another institution under the management or The Ladies‘ Union Benevolent Association.